For almost 30 years, Thomas Cougill has been actively engaged in the defense of a wide range of cases in both state and federal courts. He has defended individuals and companies in cases ranging from simple automobile accidents to complex federal multi- district litigation actions. He has extensive experience in the defense of products liability cases involving catastrophic damages. He has defended cases involving elevators, escalators, ladders, scaffolds, industrial adhesives, industrial cleaning solvents, and a wide variety of production machinery.
Mr. Cougill also has extensive experience defending insurance companies against first party breach of contract and bad faith claims. These range from simple automobile coverage matters to complex coverage cases involving numerous insurance companies with multiple policies and several layers of coverage spanning numerous policy periods.
In recent years, Mr. Cougill has defended corporations involved in large class action or mass tort litigation in the federal multi- district litigation (MDL) context. This includes defending the manufacturers of travel trailers in the federal FEMA trailer formaldehyde MDL in Louisiana, defending companies whose products incorporated asbestos in the federal asbestos MDL in Pennsylvania and defending companies who manufactured and distributed welding products in the federal welding fume MDL in Ohio.
- Baylor University School of Law, JD 1989
- Baylor University, BBA 1987
- Automobile and Trucking Defense
- Class Action and Mass Tort Defense
- General Personal Injury Defense
- Insurance Defense and Bad Faith Litigation
- Premises Liability Defense
- Products Liability Defense
- Toxic Tort Defense
- Supreme Court of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. District, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District, Western District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas